Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Mike's Solo Work

  1. #1
    Inactive Member rob562's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2003
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Out of curiousity, whats your opinions on mikes 2 solo albums. I loved the first one.

    I wasn't as high on the second one. I think the first one just had more attitude.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member sandnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, his first album had original songs with fewer covers, so it has that special touch of Social Distortion, and the second album is purely a covers record. I love them both and can't wait until he puts out another...thats my opinion. I mean, I'm one of these people who can't even pick a favorite Social D album...they're all so good and different in their own similar way, if that makes any sense.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Midwest Sick Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2005
    Posts
    174
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love both solo albums, just depends on my mood.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rob562's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2003
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you hit it on the head.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rob562's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2003
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One thing about under the influences, on tour their renditions of I fought the law were awesome. I think that's one song thats better live. I feel the same way about hwy 101. Awsome live.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2004
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    At the risk of hearing the brooding from those who think very Social D song is a pricelless gem ... I liked the first solo album same as the rest of the Social D albums. A number of great songs and a handfull that fell to the way side. Best part was a different way for Mike to express himself. But still few of these solo songs would reach my top 20 Social D songs, assuming I considered them as such. As for the 2nd album I didn't care for it too much except for I Fought the Law. However, in concert the 2nd album sounds kewl, but I think that's cause Mike usually puts on a great show. Now before I get hear that my words are sacrilege, let me say that Social D is my favorite band of all time. And I'm always careful to keep a critical mind of everything ... including those things I believe in and love the most.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member LuckyNumber13's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2005
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I would agree that the first is better than the second. Coincedentally, when Social D came thru earlier this year a friend of mine asked Mike if he was gonna do another solo album and Mike said not to count on it...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member foxiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 16th, 2004
    Posts
    185
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As far as I'm concerned with Dennis, Maurer and Chuck gone, this newer version of Social Distortion is The Mike Ness Band performing Social Distortion songs. Therefore, in my opinion, from here on out all new recordings ARE "solo" work.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2004
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, but done in the spirit of Social Distortion. Mike has done almost all the writing in the past. Mike's solo albums are different

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Wedge0chez's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I listen to the solo albums almost more than the Social D albums. Under the Influences is a great record despite being a covers record. It is very hard to bring something new and original to songs that are so well ingrained in a listener's mind. Especially songs that are of the early 50's and 60's.

    Many people have done covers of the same songs and they always sound like cheesy nostalgic throwaways. But Ness was able to make them his own and some of his versions even surpass the originals.

    And this is no slam against the rest of Social D but the musicianship on the two solo albums is far greater than any previous album. But with the tour for SLRR, Social D, playing-wise, has the stongest line-up ever. But I still miss Dennis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •